Nacho Figueras is that devastatingly handsome man you see in the ads for Ralph Lauren Black Label and the designer’s Polo Black fragrance. But you will be seeing a lot more of the Argentine gentleman as he has just been named the brand ambassador for all three of the World of Polo scents, Polo Black, Polo Modern Reserve, and Polo Blue.

Nacho is a world-renowned polo player and a passionate family man, who through his fame and good fortune, has managed to do what he loves: stay committed to his wife and family (who travel with him everywhere) and maintain a humility not seen so often these days in media figures.

I spent a few afternoons with him while he was here in London to play in the Polo in the Park matches at Hurlingham Park, and we got to chatting over lunch at Cipriani, where he talked about his relationship with Ralph and how he defines success.

nacho figueras and polo ralph lauren

Tell a bit about this new movement to bring polo into the cities.

With Governors Island and with London, the idea is to bring the event around the world and as close to the cities as we can to create a fun, new spectator sport—and not just for the guy who goes to the Hamptons. People seem to think that polo is for just a few and you have to be invited and wear a hat and nice things. I love that side of the sport, but I think we need some more access.

Your life has changed dramatically since working with Ralph Lauren. How has it affected your family life?

What I think the kids get from what I do is that it’s a great lifestyle. They travel a lot, they go to different places, they speak two languages. I get to be with them a lot and spend time at home, which I think is a great thing. The downside is that they don’t go to school that regularly. To me the most important thing is for all of us to be together.

So, tell me about this new campaign: You are now the face of the World of Polo fragrances, Polo Black, Polo Blue and Polo Modern Reserve.

Ralph believes that fragrances are connected to what you are doing and the mood and the time of the day. The World of Polo is basically saying that there is not just one fragrance for one man but a sexy wardrobe of fragrances you get to use depending on what you are doing.

Now that you’ve been exposed to the fashion world, what you think of it all?

I have been working with Ralph for almost ten years now, so obviously I have a lot of friends in the fashion world. But to me fashion is like an art, it is something that is connected to the world. I don’t see it as a separate thing. To me Ralph is an artist. He paints a lifestyle and glamour and creates a feeling.

You are interested and art and architecture--have you seen any good shows while here in London?

I went to the National Art Gallery because I haven’t been in a few years. There is a Picasso show there now.

Do you collect art?

A little bit, yes.

Who are you collecting these days?

I have some Uruguayan, American, and Argentine artists.

Who are some of the American artists you are collecting?

I have a Warhol.

No! Really?

I have a very modest Warhol drawing….but, I am just starting. Right now I am putting most of my money in other things, but it’s something I would love to do more of. I have some Steven Klein photographs, really big ones I have bought.

Do you follow the art world in the sense that you are you looking at young artists that are coming up?

Delfina is a photographer and she has to be enveloped in her career, so because of her we have to look around to see what is going on. And I have a lot of friends in the art world like Peter Brant and Vito Schnabel. So I have a big connection with that side and so I get to see a lot of things.

What is your favorite piece of architecture in London?

I love the Tate Modern.

I am curious as to what you think of the architecture in London because it’s hard to put your finger on it sometimes—it doesn’t really have a cohesive quality to it.

It’s crazy! You go from the oldest building in the world to all of a sudden, a tower made of glass. I like London a lot; I think it’s a good balance. Sometimes it’s a little over the top, but I like it.

Describe a typical day for you.

There is no typical day for Nacho [laughs]. Today I’m in London having lunch at Cipriani; tomorrow I am playing polo in the park. The next day I am in Argentina in my house playing polo; then I am breeding horses on my farm. The next day I am in Brazil, and a week later I am in New York in a meeting wearing a suit or shooting a commercial. Then the next day I am playing polo in the Hamptons and that afternoon I will be at the beach with my kids.

What is it like working with Bruce Weber, who shot all of the Ralph Lauren fragrance ads? Tell me about his style.

He is amazingly focused. I feel very blessed about having been able to spend time with successful people like Ralph and Bruce. These guys are at the top of their game. Everyone who is very successful casts a similar footprint. It’s always about focus, dedication, passion for what for what they do, and you really can sense even with different styles that these guys have a lot of that. It’s inspirational. You see something or you sense something that is the same in all of them.

How do you define success?

We live in a capitalist world and everything seems to be measured in dollars. But success for me is for my wife and my kids to love me. But I also want very much for the sport of polo to be more recognized, and what happened on Governors Island in New York, that to me was a very big achievement.

It was huge.

To have four thousand guys from New York who knew anything about polo, screaming and yelling and having a great time, that was one of my biggest days.


Source: Elle


Buy womens designer clothes like Polo Ralph Lauren at DesignerClothesOnline.Co.Uk
and avail great promos.
Ralph Lauren designer clothing with great discounts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment